What is Reiki?
Reiki is a Japanese word which means ‘Universal Life Energy’. It is a healing energy which, when channelled through the hands of the Reiki Practitioner to the client, activates the client’s natural ability to heal him/herself. The energy helps to release blocked energies and encourages the body to release toxins and return it to a state of balance. Reiki is a simple, natural and safe way to enhance and maintain physical, emotional and mental well-being.
Some of the positive effects of Reiki are:
- To experience a deep relaxation and inner peace
- To boost the immune system and the body’s innate wisdom to heal itself
- To increase energy-levels
- To reduce stress and anxiety
- To improve sleep
- To help in times of intense emotional pain
- To reduce physical pain
- To better cope with times of change and transformation
Why have a Reiki healing?
The purpose of a Reiki healing is to rebalance the client’s energy-level and to give more energy into parts of the being where support and healing are needed.
During a one-hour long Reiki healing the client is lying fully clothed on a comfortable massage table. Starting at their head, the therapist places their hands gently on different parts of the client’s body and lets the energy flow in.
A Reiki healing is a very relaxing experience. It is not unusual for clients to fall asleep during a Reiki healing. Some people feel warmth or heat or tingling but it is not necessary to feel anything for the energy to work.
Reiki is an accumulative energy and builds up in your system with each session. Although a once-off Reiki healing can be hugely relaxing and beneficial, depending on the client’s personal situation it may be advisable to have a course of three or four healings relatively close together.
Reiki works on a physical, emotional, mental and spiritual level and it always works towards the client’s highest potential on all levels of their being.
Reiki for Cancer Patients
Over the years, I have had the privilege to work with many cancer patients. Some of those patients were undergoing conventional treatment at the time and were using Reiki as a gentle support. And some of those patients were nearing the end of their lives and in receipt of palliative care.
- All cancer patients find that Reiki is very relaxing, calming and soothing.
- All cancer patients say that Reiki reduces tension and anxiety.
- All cancer patients say that Reiki reduces the side-effects of conventional treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation and the side-effects of strong medication.
- Many cancer patients say Reiki reduces physical and emotional pain.
- Many cancer patients say that Reiki increases their energy-levels.
- Some cancer patients say that Reiki improves their sleep-pattern.
- In most cases Reiki helps cancer patients to have a more positive attitude towards life in general and improves the response to their often aggressive treatments.
If you are living with a cancer diagnosis, or if you know someone who does, please get in touch or encourage them to get in touch and I will be very happy to support you on your journey.
Reiki does not cure cancer, but it will make it easier to live with it.
Reiki for Nurses
I know and appreciate that your job as a nurse is an extremely fulfilling yet stressful one. Practising regular self-care is vital in counteracting and managing the stresses of the profession and avoiding serious issues like exhaustion, depression and burnout.
Self-care is a broad concept that involves engaging in activities that reduce your stress and improve your physical and mental health. Unfortunately, it is often those of us who care for others a lot that forget to take enough time to care for ourselves. Or sometimes you may even feel like it is not so important to take good care of yourselves so long as you can continue caring for others. But the truth is that you can only care for others when you care for yourself first. The more you practise self-care the better you will be able to do your job.
Reiki is a wonderful practice of self-carebecause it rebalances your energy, makes you calm and peaceful, helps you to let go of any physical, emotional or mental stress you may have experienced during your day at work, helps you to recharge your batteries and helps you rebuild your boundaries which may have been challenged by your patients or even colleagues at work.
Reiki in Hospitals
I have been passionate about bringing Reiki into Irish hospitals and particularly to cancer care and palliative care. Read my paper on Reiki in hospitals here.